Driving takes full concentration. Adults have mostly learned that they have to be aware on the road all the time when driving. Teens are still learning what that means. Enterprises TV offers a report on teen drivers and what we all can do to keep them safe on the road.
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of teen deaths in the
This is a sobering thought. Even when one teen driver has his or her full
attention on the road, another one may not and end up causing a fatal accident.
Insist teens do the following when getting behind the wheel:
- Assign smart phones to a friend to answer and reply to texts
- Remind teens to always keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front of them when driving and when stopped.
- Remind teens that stop signs mean stop and not slow down.
The Enterprises TV show offers some suggestions for adults who have teenage drivers:
- Public and private schools should offer driver’s education classes as well as some behind the wheel training
- Parents and teens should spend as much time as possible with the teen behind the wheel to experience driving conditions
- Download and print the parent-teen contract and sign it
- Never text a teen when you know he or she is behind the wheel
- Use a monitoring device in the car when the teen is behind the wheel to be sure they are where they say they are
- Take action if kids are ticketed for speeding or leaving the scene of an accident.
Safe driving is everyone’s responsibility.